The HYPOSO Project (Hydropower solutions for developing and emerging countries), funded under the H2020 program, aims at supporting the European hydropower industry while at the same time fostering a sustainable development in selected target countries in Africa (Cameroon and Uganda) and Latin America (Bolivia, Colombia and Ecuador).
FROSIO NEXT works together with other 12 partners from Europe, Africa and Latin America to achieve these ambitious objectives.
The specific objectives of HYPOSO are:
- framework analyses with regard to small hydropower up to 10 MW for the selected target countries;
- mapping of more than 2,000 potential hydropower sites in the target countries with a geo information system (GIS) mapping tool;
- development of a Knowledge and Capacity Development (KCD) tool for capacity building of local stakeholders (i.e. hydropower professionals – young and senior, political deciders);
- elaboration of 15 dedicated business case studies of SHP projects (three in each of the five target countries);
- creation of a comprehensive web-based information hub for both, the European hydropower industry and stakeholders in the target countries.
FROSIO NEXT is the project leader for the elaboration of comprehensive business case studies, starting from the identification of 15 high potential hydropower sites (three in each of the five target countries) and perfoming the sites’ surveys (anavoidable precondition to get a complete overview of the site and to perform accurate analyses).
These comprehesive business case studies will include prefeasibility studies, environmental and socio-economic impact assessments and economic viability and financial analysis.
Furthermore, FROSIO NEXT experts will be involved as lecturers in capacity building trainings for local stakeholders.